Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Elite Mock Draft 2014


Last night exceeded my expectations and I was already excited for last night. I love fantasy football and I love our league. Last night Draft was set to start at 8:00 PM CST. By 7:35 PM, I logged in to find 7 GMs already online. My guess is that if we could have opened the draft room an hour prior, some of you would have been online by then, too.  

Last Friday, I thought it would be great to create a "Mock Draft" for the Elite's 2014 draft. I've seen it done over and over on ESPN...why not in our league, too? Another reason I enjoyed seeing our picks prior to draft is because I've played this game for nearly a decade with most of you...I think I can figure out (ideally) what most of you typically do in the first round of draft. 

The only reason I didn't post this sooner was because I thought it might give others an advantage (as an opponent, I can't afford) if GMs were not previously aware of what another GM above them might do. I got many wrong, but here's how I thought every one's first picks would play out:    

1.       Adrian Peterson, The Gotham Knights
If bet $100 that Justin wouldn’t take AP, I believe you all would take this bet and I’d owe $900 to you all (including Justin). I haven’t decided if this is an advantage for us or sad that I know this first pick so well…
2.       LeSean McCoy, The Sons of Thunder
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Francois led the Western conference the majority of last season because of Shady and I don’t see him changing now. Our draft this year really doesn’t start till our 3rd pick because…
3.       Peyton Manning, The Sesame Street Gang
The chance of Manning repeating last year’s performance is too tantalizing for Hery to pass…however I believe because he’s picking 3rd overall, if he decides to select a RB, he’ll go with his ace last year, Forte.
4.       Jamaal Charles, The Heartbreak Kid
I’ve owned this RB the past 2 years…why not go for 3? I’m not a homer (because the Rams suck) but the memory of owning a player is sometimes too strong to let go which is the case for most of us in the Elite.
5.       Drew Brees, The Limited Edition
Last year Nathan picked at #1 and took Peterson, otherwise history shows that he always goes QB. Now with the guaranteed backs picked, Brees’ 3 consecutive years of 5,000 yards is too consistent to overlook.  
6.       Matt Forte, The Sith
A draft slip due to the QB rush will provide Maucus the opportunity to take the back which is a steal at 6. *If Hery takes Forte, I still have Nathan taking Brees and I think he’ll take Calvin Johnson (former owner).
7.       Aaron Rodgers, The Orange Crush
Ryan has always been a QB guy and will take the last of the elite. However let the record show: if Hery takes Forte and Manning somehow falls to 7? There’s NO WAY Ryan is passing on owning Manning.
8.       *Eddie Lacy, JB
First, I place the asterisk due to the possibility that JB might trade this pick, otherwise with (in this order) with Forte, Manning, Brees, Rodgers & Megatron gone…JB will take the other Packer 1st round worthy.
9.       Jimmy Graham, The Dunwall Assassins
My educated guesses come from 9 years of watching the Elite draft which makes Owen the 2nd hardest person for me to evaluate. My best guess would be he’ll take the highest valued player fortunate to fall…
10.   Marshawn Lynch, The Bane

Spoiler alert: Steven is the hardest person to try and figure out. However, based upon all of the above events, Lynch is the player who will fall be passed on this year much to Steve’s delight (former owner).

No comments:

Post a Comment