Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday Morning Hangovers


My NFL and fantasy team had the same score for most of the day... #week3 

Rave of the Week

I usually like to wait till later in the season, but I couldn't hold this in anymore…this really is a great league. Over the years, bad/good/great GMs have come and gone, but this league still remains great. I've thought, “How is this possible?”  I reached a conclusion while listening to JB’s podcast this weekend.  

As I listened, I didn't hear 5 guys talking about the league. I didn’t hear 5 guys talking fantasy. I didn't even hear 5 guys talking football. I heard 5 guys laughing. I heard 5 guys sharing updates on their lives. That’s when it hit me; this league isn’t great because we all love fantasy football. 35 million people play this game. This league maintains its greatness because we have something bigger than the game. We all enjoy playing together. There’s no group of guys I’d rather play this game with than the Elite.

I’m often tantalized with the idea of sharing our page and posts. This quality of comical communication and competition should be seen by more than 10 people. Yet at the same time, in life, some of the most special things are often reserved for an elite few. I implore you; take pride in your league: post comments, messages, stories…vote on every single poll. Do it not just to show support, but do it because 34,999,990 GM’s do not have that liberty. This is the page of the free and home of the elite.  

There are only two things I’d like to see someday on our page. First, a custom use of Gifs, Memes or Vines in our weekly recaps or reviews. Lastly, we need a music video: it could be as simple as one sitting on a stool in front of a camera strumming to the homemade tune of “you just got beat” (or whatever) you all thrive at thinking outside the box.

Lastly, join me in giving a big shout out to our boy: JB’s Pick 6, JB’s Podcast (or anything with the letters “JB” in front of them) we don’t need wait till the end of the season to recognize that JB has been bringing it.

Rant of the Week

The start of my fantasy career coincides with the end of my NFL’s team success. If I had a fan timeline, my relationship status with the St. Louis Rams has read, “it’s complicated” especially, the past few years. If you recall last year, I wrote a debatable piece on them so allow me this one screed and then I’m done.

When Bradford went down again, I thought, “bad words.” However I realize that this is a blessing in disguise! (Stay with me) I’ve devised 3 plans that I would like the St. Louis Rams to deploy:
Plan A: This weekend served as an excellent reminder of how we’re just a Quarterback (and safety) away from being a playoff contender. Even without Bradford, I believe we could win 6-7 games this year. However…I want us to do the exact opposite: TANK. Throw the season. Let’s plan for the 2015 NFL Draft.

Plan B: Trade for (Wait for it) …RG3. It would be the greatest GM move of all time. We trade down to 8th, receive Washington’s 1st round picks for two years and still end up with the very guy we essentially traded away? It’s brilliant! Kirk Cousin is only going to continue to falsify his potential vs. the NFC East. A QB controversy is born and we swoop in and offer to take the former second overall pick and he rises back to greatness and takes our team back to the Super Bowl.  

Plan C: “All the above.” (I could be a real GM). We end the season with the #1 pick: we either draft offensive linemen (or trade away for later pick in the first round and take a safety) and take RG3. Winston is too busy eating crab legs and I’d rather RG3 to Mariota. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.

Plan D: The Rams do none of this…I go post this story, buy a tub of ice cream, go home, get in my tub and cry shards of glass while my neighbor watches (since I don’t cover my window – Steven).  

Bad words, again.

I’m out like all the players on my bench, who actually blew up…


HBK

1 comment:

  1. Reece I love your description of plan B. That would be the best GM move ever. To get all the first round picks and then get the player you essentially traded for would be genius, but I don't the RGIII would work in STL. Especially if he can't even stand on his own two legs.

    ReplyDelete