Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tuesday Morning Hangovers


Maucus: I rarely find myself hating this game… Me: Define rarely? Maucus: Frequently. #weektwo

Rave of the Week

Allow me to pause for a commercial break from our regularly scheduled TMH with a special segment I’d like to dedicate to our, “FF Veterans” and recognize one of our fallen troops…Daniel Martinez. 

When Dan first gave me his resignation, I was ambivalent. On one hand, we were losing an active participant, an “I feel you, homie” regular, trash talking opponent, video enthusiast and worthy competitor. On the other…the Educators was manic about the game, tumultuous on boards, and incredulous in trades. It was like being given the opportunity to be one of the first to board the Hindenburg…you’d get a chance to soar, but it’s also going to blow up… How will the Educators be remembered? What legacy did he leave with the Elite?  

I had the privilege of watching the Sunday Night Football game with the former solider. As we watched the game, I had a chance to interview the battle scared, yet calm with a type of peace that passeth all understanding, former GM:

Me: “Tell me about life?” – Me, in my best 60 minutes impersonation voice

Dan: “Life’s been great. No regrets. Devotions, marriage, teaching have all been on point. I want to do big things. (In replacement of FF, he's learning Spanish & guitar) Also, I’m eating healthier, too.”

Me: “Well at least you no longer have to complain about how much you hate fantasy football…”

Dan: *Kaepernick throws his third pick* “Dag Gummit, I hate football!”

There you have it, gentlemen. Dan’s in a better place now. A bit delusional about his Niners (years of war does it to even the best). Nevertheless, raise your glass and pour one out for our boy, Dan Martinez! He came, he saw, he lost…heh, but for his services, I awarded the purple heart of “penultimate.” He’s not over the hill; he’s discovered life on top of it. He belongs with Polite in our Elite Hall of Fame. 

Once Elite, always Elite…

Rant of the Week

Injuries…they’re not an uncommon occurrence, in fact; they might be the most consistent factor in the game of football. We all know they “could” happen…but rarely do we expect them to actually happen, especially to us. Oh sure, we know certain players are bound to get hurt like Gronk, McFadden, RG3, etc. However, no matter how many times we've seen the scene, we’re still blown away when we watch our player run a basic route, receive a basic tackle and arise with a complex injury.  

I hate injuries. They've cost me fantasy games. They've cost me real life games. Also, my emotions have come at that price, too. The worst of it is that there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s not like we can pause the game, go into settings and turn every player’s injuries off. (Imagine what a season that’d be?) Nope, we’re forced to deal with it. Just like anything in life, nothing comes easy…not even fantasy football. Take heed gentlemen, its only week two. There’s still a long season to be played; waiver stars will arise. The race isn't given to the strong, but he who has enough players still playing in the end. Literally, at this point. 

I’m out like my chances to ever get Brandon Marshall, now…

HBK


P.s. One more with photo credit to Gotham Knights: 


No comments:

Post a Comment