Friday, September 14, 2012

Every Superhero Has a Weakness


  • Superheroes
  • A supporting cast of recurring characters, including the hero's friends, co-workers and/or love interests, who may or may not know of the superhero's secret identity. Often the hero's personal relationships are complicated by this dual life, a common theme in stories.

     "A bunch of grown men watching other grown men," says the majority of the female gender when it comes not only to fantasy football, but football in general. The irony in that comment is that most homosexual men could care less about football teams and the essence of competing. And although I just contradicted myself by making that generalization as well, I still think I just sharpened my point.
     Band of Brothers & The Pacific. If you haven't seen these two sets of series from HBO, then you have missed out on some MAJOR manly feelings, my brothers. Let me sum up this post's theme in one NFL figure: Ray Lewis. I don't think I need to explain what he does out there on the football field. Just search any type of YouTube video of his speech's and you will get the manly jitters and shivers.
     Leadership as a team of young men, this is why we do what we do. This is why we consistently compete with one another. To edge each other on, to encourage one another, and to mutually respect each other as men: these are the keys to any successful group. And no matter how many losses we obtain over the season, to swallow that horse pill-sized portion of humility will be the hardest thing to do. For even a superhero, with superhuman power, will fail and fall short. It happens with every single superhero in every comic but what makes the hero so super is the resiliency. To get back up after a loss, whether it be a close friend, family member, or even a spouse through divorce, even a fantasy football game...this is what defines a man.
     So men, this I challenge you (although a week late): through all of the smack talk, frustrating moments, burnt pizzas, and hurt feelings because your life is hectic and you are just too emotionally weak to care about your friends let alone some stupid fantasy football game...let us respect one another in all that we carry on in this league. I know that I am just a rookie and that this is my first time getting up to speak of such fantasy league topics but let me give you a heavy dose of reality.
     This is just fantasy and although the overall goal is to win every single game, don't sweat it when you lose. There are more important things in life such as your wife/future wife, future kids, completing your education, your career, and most importantly your spiritual life with Jesus Christ. So, when I appear to not necessarily care as much about this league as I should, please be patient with me. Although this is fun for me and I have gained nine other soon-to-be-if-not-already great friends & brothers, I am going to admit right now in Week 2 that this league isn't the number one priority for me & I pray to God that it isn't yours either.
     "Way to take the wind out of our sails," you may be thinking. I'm no minister & I'm no holy roller, I'm just a young Christian man who struggles with a lot of the same things you, my other fellas, struggle with as well on a regular basis. And sometimes it is good to just take a break and see things for what they truly are. On that note, good luck on your games this weekend!





Prophets & Kings' (oh, the irony of this team name with this post, lol!) Team Owner & Manager,




- Jonathan Brassington

No comments:

Post a Comment