Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday Morning Hangovers


This week is all about name dropping [Spoiler Alert] I’m not as close to these people as I would like to think I am… #weektwelve

Rave of the Week
We’re just about done with the season (which is why I’m “now” sharing this…) we all have our own ways of doing fantasy research: ESPN, NFL.com, Bleacher Report, Nathan’s “spreadsheet,” FF Today or simply Google. However, I’d like to give a shout out to my “inside source” at ESPN, Field Yates.
I shared last week how I no longer have time to watch fantasy shows so I’ve turned to Podcasts. Prior to the season I discovered one called, “Fantasy Underground” hosted by senior fantasy writers, Christopher Harris and Field Yates. It discussed draft strategies, waiver options, negotiating trades, etc. Yet the biggest thing that caught my attention was (@fieldyates) claim of responding to 90% of all tweets sent his way…
Now I follow Fabiano and TMR, but those guys don’t respond…ever. So I highly doubted this, but I added him at the beginning of the season. Yates stayed true to his claim; he’d always answer whatever fantasy question I had for him throughout the year: during the week, before the game, prior to a trade… (He even addressed me by name) While the rest of the world awaits the 6PM showing of Sportscenter, I just pull out my phone and ask Field Yates. And that has earned him my Reece Valentine Certified, “boys for life” trademark title.   
Rant of the Week
I spent last weekend in Kansas City for Thanksgiving with my father’s family. On Sabbath, we went to church and I ran into an old church member from (way) back in the day named, “Brother Smith” (who just happens to be…wait for it) the father of: Aldon Smith, linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers. Flashback…
Two years ago I had a FNL meeting; one Thursday night in April…I was early so I wandered into Cooper’s Corner and turned on the NFL draft. I was only half paying attention when Goodell announces, “with the seventh pick in the 2011, the 49ers select…”Aldon Smith.” I immediately thought, “wait…what?” I know that kid…people that I know don’t end up in the NFL??? (I just saw him a few months back) I knew he played at Mizzou, but I didn’t know he was a BEAST!!!
Flash forward again, I proceed to tell his father how amazed I am at what’s he doing in the NFL and how I don’t play in the NFL, but I do, do the next closest thing… (I didn’t say that part) Nevertheless, imagine that: I sat Indian style beside this kid in Children’s story and now he’s slamming my fantasy QB (week 3) into the ground.   
I’m out like this season…
HB2K  

No comments:

Post a Comment