Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday Morning Hangovers


"I've got nothing..." {Insert witty opening remark here} #weekten

Rave of the Week

If Herm Edwards famous phrase, "you play to win the game" applies to players than it can be assumed "you watch to see your team win" applies to the fans. Why else do we watch sports? Albeit, some watch because it's a way of bonding, or it beats Sunday boredom or if you're like my Mom, whoever is least likely to win...she'll become the biggest one day fan for them. Nevertheless, we all watch to see the win (or a friend's team lose). However my reasoning for watching sports is the hope for something greater. I'm waiting for the "perfect year." 

I'm not referring to an undefeated season, I'm talking about something even BIGGER. What could be possibly more epic? The "perfect year" for more would be: Cardinals winning the World Series, Spurs winning the Championship, Rams winning the Superbowl and Heartbreak Kid winning the belt...all in the same year. 

If that ever happened? I would quit watching sports altogether. I mean, wouldn't the entire point of watching sports be resolved?!

Unfortunately, I have come close...(although the Rams have zero shot of winning even a free burrito at Taco Bell) Heartbreak Kid did win the 2012 Championship, the Spurs were in the Finals and the Cardinals were in the World Series...but they both lost. Why does my elitist created rules reject my own narcissism? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why didn't I understand the ending of Inception!? I'll explain why (some of these) didn't happen below... 

Rant of the Week

This year's drawing to a close, but one year I'd love to do a survey of how each GM handles losses (regular season or playoffs). Do you kick and scream till waivers? Do you pretend like it didn't hapen? Do you stay off the page for at least a day? Do you turn off your phone so we can't berate you? Does it not affect you at all? Do you create a song and dedicate it to your disappointment in your team? Do you vent about it every Tuesday Morning to anyone who will read?
 
In 2007, I lost in my first Superbowl appearance to the Mighty Men of Benjamin and the weight of the championship all came down to the last game. Monday Night Football. Mike's "rookie" Adrian Peterson vs. my "vet" LaDanian Tomlinson. It sounds like a Disney movie set up... (Mind grenade: whoever wins should make a documentary)

I still think about that loss...perhaps Polite would still be playing if a belt evaded him?

Ironically, the Spurs won the Championship the same season I lost the Superbowl and in 2012 lost the Finals the same season I won the Superbowl (and for going undefeated, the Cardinals had to lose, too). It's the obvious lie I tell my concious that allows me to sleep at night.

As much as I root for the "perfect season" I know it will never happen and for one reason: equilibrium. {The state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced.} Four points and I'd be the only GM with three championships, but equilibrium explains why I'm tied with Limited Edition with two apiece. It's equilibrium that keeps Tim Duncan from having five rings to LeBron having one. I blame Lucifer, life's not perfect because of him anyway...

If you've read this whole thing but now ask how do I explain when you lose at everything? Life sucks, Charlie Brown.

I'm out like the football Lucy pulls...every single time...

CBK

P.s. I've added something new...

[Elite History Fact #43] (I was going through my archives) Francois used to end every message: "I will be the champ, I will be the champ, I will be the champ and no one else can't" #poets

No comments:

Post a Comment