Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tuesday Morning Hangovers



The odds in this league for winning it all are against you, the odds of repeating are impossible… #weekseven
Rave of the Week

There’s nothing else really needed for the enjoyment that is felt Sunday morning in anticipation of football. My excitement for Game Day is comparable to waking up on a holiday, it’s just a different feeling. If decorations add to the holiday season, I’d say that the comradery shared on game day adds to my football season.

Some of my fondest memories of this game is when we'd crashed Dan's room on Sunday afternoons and have two different televisions of both games with GM’s (and a die hard Lion fan) coming and going throughout the day. However, times have changed, GM’s have moved and life has evolved but the communication remains the same.

On a typical Sunday, I’ll usually hear from the majority of you all throughout game day and this weekend was no different. My morning started off texting with Steve about how he’s (one Steven Jackson and Jacksonville defense away) from changing his team name to “Jackson 5.” As the games started, Dan text his . During the middle of the noon games Maucus informed me that Bradford is out and that the Rams suck. Towards the end of the noon games, Ryan began texting about how I must want him to win it all. Once the afternoon games finished, Justin expressed to me his distaste for Roy Helu. Finally, to conclude the evening, Hery decided to text me every game highlight from SNF (primarily those that weighed in his favor). Time changes all, but we have found ways to keep in touch miles away.  

However if you’re away from the television or worse, pulled away by other responsibilities in life, texting or calls can be the worse sound or vibrate you receive. I concluded this notion Sunday when I realized that some notification mean only one of two things: someone on my team is blowing up or something terrible is happening to my team. There is generally no in-between. No one is going to text you, “Hey, nice three yard scamper on first down, there…” It’s more like, “Thanks for Harry Douglas” or “Megatron literally just got you 11 points on that play” or “Good bye, Reggie Wayne” and the occasional complaint of a dud, injury, etc. Nevertheless it's still our way of keeping up with one another.    

There are many reasons I love Fantasy Football: it’s sports, the competition, winning, getting the results of weekly prognostics and it’s the ultimate nebulizer to an otherwise, uneventful Sunday. However the thing I enjoy most about this game, is the back and forth communication with my boys. It’s not the only way to talk throughout the year, but I’ll take whatever we can get.  

Rant of the Week 

Ten points.

It’s all that’s needed to win from week to week. All you need is at least twenty points from your QB, one player on your team to blow up, expect one dud and the rest of your team to average ten points and you’ll win every time. However seven weeks later I have two wins and five losses.

Last week it was Matt Forte. The week before it was Knowshon Moreno. Three weeks ago it was Alshon Jeffery. A month ago it was Victor Cruz & Tony Gonzalez. A month ago…I haven’t won in over a freaking month and what’s worse, none of the above guys have monster performed that well since.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Through the first seven weeks, I’m the only GM whose yet to score less than 100 points each weekend, my team is actually better than last year’s team. Despite Manning’s heroics, I have the second highest scoring team assembled. I’m really not complaining as much as I really don’t get it. I almost wish my team was under-performing so at least I could pinpoint what needs to be addressed.  Also, kudos to Steve, dude…I have no words for how you did it. I'm not giving up, nor am I a quitter, but the road to the championship certainly isn't a cake walk...    

I plan for what I believe my players will do from week to week but what you don't expect is taht all your hard work gets put into the hands of Josh Freeman on Monday Night. Suddenly, it doesn't matter what you've planned or how you studied. I can’t plan is that despite the Vikings playing the worse team in the league, they still couldn't even score one time. Not even a stupid field goal.

Happy Willie Wink Day

I’m out like my sanity these days...  

HB2K  

No comments:

Post a Comment