Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday Morning Hangovers


"We sat so close to the field Jamaal Charles turned to me and said, "we splitting carries, bro?" #weekfour

Rave of the Week

After seven years, I avidly think #FF. Forty yards? Four points. Seventy yard touchdown? Thirteen points. I really don't care about wins or loses, all that matters to me is the stat sheet. However, this weekend I took a step back and had an epiphany about the sport vs. the game we play:

My Father's birthday was last week; being originally from Kansas City makes him a certified, "Chief for life." So what better gift to give then tickets to the game last Sunday. If you've never been to a NFL game, I strongly recommend doing it with either a father figure, your boys or both (and when I have kids, I'm going to take them, too). As I said, driving to the game all I thought was, "this is why I drafted Charles" and "Dan has Victor Cruz."

However walking into Arrowhead field, the analytically and competitive thinking all went away. It's as if you've been stuck inside all day and you step outside and feel refreshed to remember the smells of a grass football field. Inhaling ambiance of the game, crowd and veggie hot dogs I remembered the simplicity of it all, as if being outdoors and staring at the shapes of clouds...I freaking love football. The energy, the atmosphere, the comradery...(if the game went on another quarter, I would've become a Chiefs fan) Even watching Cruz's salsa dance was a sight to behold.

There's nothing I hate more than losing, but this weekend, I honestly didn't care. At a football game it doesn't matter who catches the ball, how many yards that run went for, targets, field goal yardage, etc. The only thing that matters is we're winning and they're not (and the Giants really suck). Take a study break one weekend and step back for a moment and look at what you're truly beholding...the greatest game on earth.

Rant of the Week

Every year the Elite league allows a fifteen man roster. The fifteenth roster spot on my team has always been reserved for waiver comings and goings. However, this week I would like to talk about the roster spot I hate the most..."the fourteenth man."

After your starting nine, in a standard ten team league, every team has two to three players capable of either starting or serving their country on bye weeks. This leaves one spot that is held captive by the true handcuff of fantasy football. If you think long enough, you know who that is, we all have him...

We HATE the fourteenth guy on our team. At least with your fifteenth ranked guy there's the possibility of potential or the liberty to release him and take back your iPad at any moment! Unless you become roster-phobic, you're generally stuck with him...and what's worse is as GM, you know the scouting report on the player. No one truly wants him, you don't even want him! There's generally nothing to brag about in our fourteenth best player... 

A few weeks ago Maucus had Hery's handcuff in Bush. Unless you're SSG, no one really wants Bush, but if you drop him you know he'll be picked up. This means he's handcuffed to your bench and lacks trade value unless injury occurs. Maucus grew tiresome of being handcuffed to Bush, dropped him and Hery signed him. Last week, JB and I were pretty close to making a trade. I hesitated and JB offered to add a player, but I still declined. The next day, JB dropped him...and those are just two stories I observed. It's been four weeks, you're truly stuck with that fourteenth guy, at least seek roster counseling...

I'm out like The Bane's losing streak...

HB2K

P.s. This was the 100th post on the blog; props and congrats to us as a league.

No comments:

Post a Comment