Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tuesday Morning Hangovers

Text to Ryan: “Since I complained to you about the Rams taking Gurley, it’s only natural that I make sure you know I take it all back…J” #weekfour

I apologize for the delay of game this week…my momentary schedule currently has me attempt to write these either way too early in the week or way too late in the week. I’m still working out the bugs...

Rave of the Week

We’ve just completed one fourth of the season and over the past decade I’ve found just about every way possible to blend the *fictitious simulation by preferential selection world with our very much real world. I get kick out of it. The fuse of sports, friendship and writing will always give you at least three points. However I decided I wanted to field a different type of goal this season by focusing on the lives of those who play this game with me. This allows me to hit the goal of individually thank each contributor over the past 10 years, keep the page active by everyone wanting to see what I’ll say about them next week and saving some ideas for year 11 and beyond. Three points, again. I’m 2 for 2. Add me to your waivers.

I’d like to start with our most recent GM, (Dunwall Assassins’) and work my way back (so some of you, sit back). I honestly have no recollection of how I met Owen, but ultimately decided how could I not know Owen and was content with that conclusion. As Ram fans, we’ve been recreational relatives for as long as I can remember and possess the handshake connection of Benny Rodriguez and a baseball glove. For the few of you who may not know him, Owen is a great guy, friend and I couldn’t be happier to share this league with him, too. Eventually we’re going to make it to a game (unless they move to Cali and I’m no longer geographically required to be a fan) and our team group text would be much more active if I wasn’t such a superstitious little anomaly… (It worked this past weekend!) Here’s to my NFL cousin, fraternity brother** and friendship grip extraordinaire.

*I also get a kick out of finding 100 different ways to describe Fantasy football.
**True Story

Rant of the Week

This next topic is something I’ve observed some of you do, but it’s never been openly discussed yet it was a conundrum I experienced this weekend. Occasionally as our Sunday of football games draw close, a GM with a victory already decided will be faced with a critical decision heading into Monday Night…

“To start or not to start…that is the question of the hour” – William Shakespeare, probably…if he played fantasy football. Do you run up the score or do you risk a potential loss? There’s two sides here: 

For: Let’s be honest, taking a knee on Sunday night is the Russell Wilson thing to do. It makes sense to bench the final player for two reasons. First, it ensures that the last player doesn’t go into the negative and actually subtract points from your overall score. Next (depending on the standings) a lower point total will mean a higher ranking when it comes to upcoming week’s waivers. All of this is true, but…

Against: Passing up the opportunity to run up the score is the equivalent of beating Heihachi Mishima in Tekken, but throwing a single punch as he stands there dazed when the game proclaims, “FINISH HIM.” We’ve seen this happen time and time, again: it’s not over till it’s over (and even then…it’s not always over).

Heading into Monday night’s game I scored exactly one and half more points than my competitor. On Tuesday morning all scores are readjusted due to statistic corrections. We rarely pay attention to the adjustments as most games are won by larger margins, but I’m sure you remember the infamous, “Duck game?” Yeah…two points isn’t going to cut it. So I started Calvin Johnson and what does he do? Shake my head. 

I’m out like footballs in Megatron’s hands apparently…


HBK

No comments:

Post a Comment