Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Tuesday Morning Hangovers



Rave of the Week

In a very similar way to Steven’s article, I too, this weekend found myself rooting for the Prophets and Kings, but for a very different reason. For the past four seasons I’ve faced a reoccurring nightmare that usually last about 8 eight weeks or so…the possibility of an equal record. I get it now, old people. As you age, records do matter and four years ago I completed an undefeated season. Do you hear myself talking about the good ol’ days, already? The closest anyone has ever came to repeating it was my own standing, last season at 11-2 until the Sesame Street Gang entered the last week of the season at 11-1. We all measure a successful season at different metrics. For some it’s beating a long-time rival and for others, it’s a blowout win in week 6. For me, it’s a series of three questions: did I win the Super bowl, did I make the playoffs and does my record still stand? In hindsight, I was too naïve to understand 2012, I only cared that I won the championship. However since then, many seasons have transpired, I realize now how hard it would be to ever hit that mark, again. As it stands, I sit on the silver pedestal of 11-2 with now both Hery and Dan (bronze being 13-3) and perhaps it’ll become the new bronze to a future 12-1 record…but for at least for one more offseason, I remain alone at 13-0 and that’s my final rave of every regular season.

Rant of the Week

As the regular season fades and the playoffs approach, I’m reminded of a story I watched a few seasons ago. During one of Marshawn Lynch’s entrances into the end zone, he stopped and confirmed for the nationally televised audience, that he was, in fact a man. While this is an important fact to confirm as a man, it was a disappointing way to celebrate success as it was met by both fines and unhappy parents. From that moment, anytime Lynch entered the season, he would promptly turn and shake his linemen’s hands. For a few weeks I thought this was a sarcastic approach, (as we tend to look at things how we would behave) but as countless games went on, no matter how many times he would visit the end zone, regardless of how many skittles were thrown and despite his teammates wanting to celebrate, Marshawn Lynch would only shake hands. As I was pondering validity of Steven’s post and picture,* the same question kept returning, “Why do we hate losing so much to each other?” The historical image posted hit the rock on head.* Our league has always held a rich history of disrespect shown to an opponent to a mammoth sized proportion in victory. I’m not saying I used to play in the mud, I’m saying I was eating it like the prodigal son ate pig food. Goliath was like that, too. In fact, the Bible (which withholds no details) simply states, “the Philistine cursed David” in other words, “it was so bad, we’re not going to repeat what he said to the boy…” Now I’m not saying you can’t have fun, but the older I become, the more I realize how barbaric it is to purposely disrespect one (especially one you value) with the sole intent of elevating yourself. A well-known fact about the Elite. In many ways, its best this blog hasn’t always exists with historic words published, forever. As I stated in my “Rave,” records matter. At some point, I will show my future kids this league’s history and its shrinking blog, but I don’t want to show them a monster. I don’t want to show them one who disrespected the ones he called, “bros” because it’s true that this league was started by boys, but it’s maintained by men, today. Keep that in mind this postseason, gentlemen.

HBK

*S/o to Steven for pulling a picture from the greatest Hanna Barbara movie of all time.

**My bad, Goliath… 

No comments:

Post a Comment