Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Tuesday Morning Hangovers

Spoiler alert: Don’t ever go to a place like this for a date, let alone with your boss…#weekone

Rave of the Week

I’ve come to the conclusion that I have zero patience. None. In the world of product design, modern systems try to provide feedback within 0.1 second of any operation. Think about that…0.1 second. 0.1. We’ve created a world that has eliminated the word, “wait.” Our future children may not even know what that word means…it’ll be listed in the dictionary as, “Old English” next to forgotten words like, “The Educators.” Heh.

I have an insatiable desire to achieve whatever I set before me as a goal. It’s a curse, really…it’s all I can think about from the moment I wake till I fall back asleep (usually from exhaustion of trying to complete this goal). This ties into the idea of time as everything seems to take forever when I have something I absolutely must do…I approach the football season the same way. I start the season wanting my players to represent a week 16 team, but they are only a week 2 team (I’m already trying to drop 1 for waivers).

It’s ironic because as soon as the season is over I lament the speed at which the season went when I’m usually the one so impatient for it to get to the last game. Each and every year I rob myself of the beauty of this game…that it takes exactly sixteen weeks to play. So this year…I’m going to enjoy the season. There are so many stories yet to be shared, jokes to be told, polls and posts yet to be written (terrible trades yet to be done). I actually wrote something entirely different that a few years ago, I would have just pushed send, but I wanted better so I opt to press send until today. This year will be different; I’m going to stop and smell the pigskin.

Rant of the Week

Yesterday, I went out to dinner with my boss after work. She works remotely and I do not see her often so whenever she is in town, she always wants to connect. Our office is located in the Haymarket area so we usually like to go to one of two places: Leadbelly (a burger joint with the greatest veggie burger of all time) or Bread & Cup a (straight outta Pinterest) trendy café. For some reason, one was closed and the other we planned to visit the next day so she suggested we opt for a sports restaurant… (Dun dun dun).    

I knew this was a bad idea from the moment she suggested it, but I played it cool…we walked into this restaurant and are invited to sit at a table with 4 flat screens to our immediate right and Monday Night Football about to start. THE FINAL GAMES THAT DECIDE IF YOU’LL WIN OR LOSE ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN.

"I LOVE football. Now I’m a Spurs fan, but honestly if they aren’t playing, I could care less about the NBA. When it comes to the NFL, I’ll watch ANY game. My love for football and snowboarding are about the only “bro” things about me. I’m not going to paint my face for a sports event, but I absolutely would draft Gronkowski (who definitely is the type of guy that paints his face)." Wait, I think my boss said something…

Overall, I think I did a relatively good job maintaining an intellectual conversation…however it is also possible that over the course of the evening I unknowingly shared with her the secrets to how the pyramids were made, what happened to Roanoke and where to find Amelia Earhart’s plane. Or maybe this was her plan all along…some type of new age, 21st century torture technique. "Spill the beans, Reece..." I mean, she is good at her job…hm. I definitely should not have passed on Julio.  

I’m out like healthy wide receivers in 2015…


HBK   

No comments:

Post a Comment