Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday Morning Hangovers

"2009 called...they want to know if we'll ever do a 12 team league, again..." #weeknine

Rave of the Week

Every Tuesday, my pedantic calendar allots a 45 minute time to write my morning hangovers. I prefer to write off the top of my head…it’s fresher and less staged. Yet, every Tuesday (minus 2 weeks), I've yet to be able to complete this activity at my previously, ideal time. The problem isn't the idea; the problem is that my ideal time was created for me 3 years ago…

Yesterday morning I thought, “I’m definitely writing this” yet by noon (and 90 new emails later…), I realized something: this is my new normal. I’m an adult, with full-time responsibilities. Fantasy football is no longer one of the highest priorities, but that’s fine. This isn't to say that it can only get worse but it’s my way of saying some weeks, “life happens.” I love this game, this league and contributing to the page. Whenever I’m presented with a new normal, I will adjust accordingly just as life always adjusts.  

There will always be a Tuesday Morning Hangover…it just may not always be on Tuesday J

Rant of the Week

This past weekend presented us with another opportunity to witness the epic war in the Brady-Manning era. I hate the Patriots, but fantasy aside, Brady is the better QB. Nevertheless as I've watched these two go back and forth over the years, I couldn't help but see the resemblance of them in the Elite league.

We've become used to the greatness displayed between Brady & Manning and we've also become used to the greatness in our league. As a result, every year for the past 3 years, I've been trying to recreate what I like to think of as the “glory days” in the Elite. You probably think of them occasionally, too.  

If you don’t know (JB, Owen), there was a time that if you were blown out, you could expect a video would be created to commemorate your humiliation. There was a time that you’d log on the page to find a trash-talking story about yourself (and the guy who wrote it may not even be playing you that week) and the instigator could expect a response within 24 hours.

I've realized we cannot go back in time for many reasons. 1) Back to the Future doesn't really exist, although someone recently created the hover board! 2) Similar to my life via this week’s Rave, all of your lives have changed, too. 3) The tenure of this league has created a sense of expectancy: I've loss to Nathan a million times, he’s beat me a million times…we’re used to it. 4) An attempt to return back to the past would erase knowledge of today’s game. In 2008, I didn't know how to win, I knew how to post jokes, but I didn't understand the importance of waivers...all of these came through experience and time. The longer this league exists, the more we learn and the more impressive it’ll be if you win it all.  

As I watched Brady & Manning play, they weren't throwing to the same players they did even 5 years ago, yet they still were out there contributing to the game at a high standard. Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Polite, Dan aren't walking through those doors and sooner or later, they’d be unable to keep up with today’s pace.  


If you want this league to stay Elite, you have to contribute., They’re bodies may not be what they once were and you don’t have the time you once had but their minds, your minds know so much more now. All you need to do is adjust as they've done and every year will always be a classic year. 

I'm out like 12 team leagues... 

HBK 

No comments:

Post a Comment